Friday, March 14, 2008

Lettuce Wraps

I like to share recipes, so here is a new one a friend was asking me for. It is a merger of several versions that I found and would be easy to make it to suit your liking! I love how it is colorful and crunchy. My kids even like the "pink lettuce" (red cabbage) dipped in the sauce.

Lettuce Wraps

1 lb raw chicken breasts, chopped into really small pieces
1 small can water chestnuts, drained, chopped
4 mushrooms, chopped (I like shitake)
1/2 onion, chopped
3 Tbsp Hoisin sauce (found with the Asain foods at the supermarket)
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp 5 spice powder (ok to skip!)
2 cloves pressed garlic
4 tsp minced ginger root
1 tsp Sesame oil for pan

1 cup carrots, shredded
1 cup red cabbage, finely shredded
1 head lettuce leaves
2 cups white or brown rice, cooked

Directions:
Make the sauce by mixing the Hoisin, soy sauce, spices. Reserve half for serving on plate. I like to marinate the meat if there is time. Saute meat in oil with remaining sauce in lg sauce pan with onions, mushrooms, and waterchesnuts until not pink anymore and sauce is thick. Serve on lettuce layered with rice, carrots, meat, cabbage and extra sauce if desired.

**You could use ground turkey instead of chicken, you could add toasted sesame seeds to the meat when ready to serve. Just don't wimp out on the fresh ginger- it is worth it!

No comments: