Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Happy 90th Grandma!

Aunt Helen, Grandma Marion, Aunt Jean, Mom (Janice)
The Birthday Girl!

Miss you grandma!


Sarah and Elizabeth on the dinner cruise



Mom and Marion


Sarah's family: Grant, Elizabeth, Sarah, Chris, Benjamin

In June, I ditched the family for a weekend trip out to the Midwest to spend some much needed time with my side of the family. I first flew in to Minneapolis, Minnesota and stayed a few days with my sister, Sarah as our family gathered at her house. She just moved to the area with her family. It was a beautiful time of year- very lush and green with lakes everywhere. Her house was brand new and darling. Marion and I took over the boys room and it felt like when we shared a room growing up. We each had our own twin bed and got to argue about keeping the light on at night and Marion's mess (just kidding). Truth is, we stayed up way too late at night talking like we were 12 years old. Sarah's kids are adorable, talented, and bright (not a big surprise to those that know their parents). It was nice to soak up some time with them without my kids competing for attention. We all took a dinner cruise one night on Lake Minnetonka. It was a lovely way to spend the evening.

After a few days at Sarah's, the Grovers all drove down to Des Moines, Iowa to celebrate my Grandma Marion's 90th Birthday. It was the first time that I had seen most of my mom's family since our wedding (8 years now). My grandma has changed so much, but still is scooting around pretty well for her age. She looks pretty good don't you think? Seeing her made me realize how much I have missed my grandma. It is hard to see her very often out in Iowa. She is not traveling anymore. My aunts, their husbands, and all the cousins were very welcoming. It is cute to see my mom with her sisters and how much they act alike when they are together.
Overall, it was a wonderful trip. I missed my kids and hubby terribly, but don't worry, I enjoyed a little "me" time while I could. The earliest I woke up was 10 am. LOVE THAT!

2 comments:

Katelin said...

That sounds like a really fun trip--hooray for girl time!

The six of us! said...

A little get-a-way time for yourself is always a good thing once in a while. How blessed are you to still have your Grandma, she looks great for her age!!!