Friday, September 18, 2009

The Happiest Soccer Mom on the Block

Ok, this is a hard thing to explain, but the having the kids in soccer has made me so happy. Not just a little happy, but full-circle happy. To understand this, you have to imagine a little, southern, tom-boy with a ratty pony-tail growing up on the soccer field, and loving it. Then in High School, I had the chance to be on the first girl's team for our school. We were spirited and dedicated. What we lacked in skill, we made up for in spirit. It is hard to describe how much that team meant to me, but it really formed me into who I wanted to BE (and I don't mean an athelete, because we know how that turned out). Those memories are some of my fondest of all my childhood and teens. I want to give a shout out to all the coaches, TEAMMATES and supportive parents who helped us grow that way. Thanks. Now it is my turn and I am thrilled. It brings back a flood of happy memories for me. The kids are adorable and loving it. Wyatt, a soccer player in his own right, is right beside me cheering them on. Good times for us. "Soccer mom" is the best thing you could call me these days. Just look for the loudest parent, cheering like crazy for her 4 year old- that's me. :)

Rachel was the biggest surprise for their first game. Her game was after her brother's, so she had the advantage of seeing how it all worked. We had kinda joked about how she would probably sit down and pick flower and look for lady bugs during the game, but as soon as the whistle blew, she was the leader of the pack, kicking the ball towards the goal. I about fell over! Go Team COTTON CANDY!



James looks like such a natural in his BALL HOGS uniform. He reminds me so much of his dad. Always the best buddy to the class clown, he is quietly in the mix, waiting for his chance to shine. I love this kid! Look in the video for his breakout for the goal. It is hilarious becaue it ends up being his teammate that grabs him from behind (a 4 year old's best defense) to stop the goal. You can hear Wyatt's groan. The mom beside us is his mother. Too funny! James did score a goal (for the other team-whoops!) Good thing that they don't keep score. Go #2!!!!






3 comments:

Katelin said...

Soccer MOM--too cute! I've been wanting to put mine in soccer, too. I'll have to find a team here.

The six of us! said...

How fun! I can just imagine you sitting on the sidelines being a great cheering mom!!!! Good job kiddos!!!!

Katelin's family said...

I forgot to mention that I cannot believe your school hadn't had a girl's soccer team before you--that's nuts! What's up with that?