Wednesday, April 16, 2008

"Dirt Don't Hurt"







We have a sayin' way down south in Alabama, "dirt don't hurt." This means that getting a little dirty now and then can be good a good thing. I am reminded of my tomboy childhood growing up on the outskirts of Auburn, AL. When my best friend, Andi Renden, and I would come home filthy from a long day's playing outside, I never once remember my mom (a MAJOR neat freak) complaining. What I do remember however was having to strip down to my undies and wash all of the dirt off with the cold hose before coming inside. It was always worth it though. Sometimes, I am kinda sad that kids today don't get that kind of freedom- you know the kind where you are out exploring nature, having adventures in your imagination, playin' hard and gettin' dirty. I know that Wyatt feels the same way. That's why we neglected our infinite "To Do List" to take the kids camping last weekend.

This was our first time to Big Bear Lake. It was beautiful! We will definitly be going back. Wyatt is happier in the mountains than anywhere else on earth I have decided. The kids had a great time too. Saddie (our Golden Retriever) probably had the best trip however. You have never seen a dog so happy as when Saddie was with her peeps, eatin' charred hotdogs, swimmin' after ducks in icy waters. Rachel and James were completly occupied the whole time with just simple things (watching ants, putting sticks into the fire, riding in the kayak on the lake, climbing trees). It was cool to see them learning to love and admire nature the way we do. The only thing that would have made the trip better was if James and I had not gotten a touch of the flu (we still didn't want to leave even after getting sick). It was a good reminder to me that I might actually be a better mother if my kids are dirty than if they look perfect and clean. They need a chance to be kids right? Sometimes, Dirt don't hurt!

8 comments:

Tami said...

Ruth, it sounds like such fun! I'm bummed we didn't join up. I like playing the dirt too. Next time you go, let us know a little ahead of time and we will totally come! Not to mention the boys would think camping with a dog would be about the coolest thing EVER.

The Dobrons said...

Ohh my kids need a little nature! We feel cooped up. I think it's so good for kids to get away from the toys and the stores and the amusement parks and just experience the world as we should!

The six of us! said...

Oh we love to go camping for the same reason. There are no showers so all we can do for the boys is say wash your face before you get inside the tent to go to sleep. And I totally agree that "dirt don't hurt" I just hope Emily will like it as much as the boys do! Let us know next time you go we'd love to tag along!!!

Ruth and Wyatt said...

Ooo, it sounds like we have some new camping buddies! By the way, this campsite had WARM showers and a real bathroom. I know, I'm a hypocrite!

Marion Grover said...

I love reading your blog Ruth. I am not going to go camping though! Too much time with girls camp!

Jessica said...

That looks like fun. It would be nice to get away from it all and just be in the great out doors!

Colorado Smarts said...

You've given me courage to go camping this summer. I grew up loving to camp, but have yet to take my kids. We love spending time in the mountains and then we hit up a hotel. Maybe this year we will actually sleep outdoors.

Tami said...

Ruth! How are things going? Settled in yet? Give us an update!